Cataract surgery is one of the most straightforward surgeries of all. From the experienced people who have done it, we were told that it’s just a twenty to twenty-five-minute operation. The essence of saying this is to encourage those preparing for this surgery. Also, if the cataract is not a severe one, they can discharge you that same day. However, this write-up aims at giving out information on things that one should expect during cataract surgery.
We decided to do this because we want you to go straight into the theatre room with joy in your heart, and you will not be surprised when the whole process is on. But before we move any further, it would be nice to explain what cataract surgery is all about briefly.
What is cataract surgery?
Cataract surgery is the process of eradicating the lens of your eye and replacing it with an artificial lens. Although, the replacement with an artificial lens does not occur in all cases. Initially, the lens in one’s eye is clear. But when one gets a cataract, the lens becomes cloudy, eventually affecting one’s vision. Therefore, professional cataract surgery brisbane needs to be carried out to restore the person’s sight to a normal state.
Now, how can it be treated? Some people with cataracts are not interested in undergoing cataract surgery. Their specialist might help them by giving them some tips on managing their symptoms. Their eye doctors may suggest eyeglasses for them. Not only that, some doctors may recommend or prescribe magnifying lenses or sunglasses with an anti-glare coating. What are we saying in essence here? We show you that cataract surgery is not the only way to treat cataracts. Although undergoing cataract surgery is the best way of treating cataracts.
However, once you find it challenging to do your day-to-day activities, such as reading, driving, and other things related to your site’s usage, then cataract surgery will be a great choice. But for those going for cataract surgery, you will get to know some things that you may like to face in the theatre room.
Are you ready for the ride? Let’s go!
Here’s what you should expect during cataract surgery
- Numbing drops in your eye: The first thing your surgeon will do is put numbing drops in your eyes—the essence of doing this is to ensure that you don’t feel pains when the surgery is on. Therefore, when you see the medical personnel putting some eye drops in your eye, please stay calm and concentrate. It is actually for your good. It is unprofessional for medical personnel to do cataract surgery without applying numbing drops into your eyes. They understand that if you feel the pains, it may likely cause another issue to your body. Therefore, don’t be scared.
- Cut in your eye: This is the most frightening aspect that people do not like to hear. The surgeon will use tiny tools to remove the cloudy lens in your eyes. Remember, all you need to do is to stay calm. You won’t feel any pain. The essence of this article is to prepare your heart. The doctor will do some cuttings. Please prepare yourself for this. We have seen people so scared of this process to the extent that they told the doctor they were not interested in proceeding with the surgery. That sounds funny.
- Inserting of artificial lens: From the definition of cataract surgery above, don’t forget that we stated it clearly that it is the process of removing or eradicating the dense lens and replacing it with an artificial one. This is why you have come to the clinic in the first place. This operation will take nothing less than twenty-five minutes. The replacement of the lens with an artificial one is not easy. So we will advise you to stay calm so that there won’t be postsurgical issues after that.
- The use of bandages: Here, the whole process is coming to an end gradually. After replacing the lens with an artificial one is done, the next thing you will see your doctor do is to use a bandage to cover your eye. The essence of doing this is to protect your vision from being infected. Not only that, at times, bleeding may occur so that the bandage will stop the eyes from bleeding.
- Taking some rest: They will instruct you to rest in the recovery area. In the recovery area, medical professionals will come and examine you. You might be wondering what is next since the surgery has been done. They will go and check on you to know how you are feeling. There’s a connection between all the parts of the body. We have seen someone who just finished cataract surgery, and he developed COVID from it. So, the medical professionals in the recovery room must constantly check on you, or you can check COVID yourself with a few dollars in rapid antigen test kits.
- Aftercare instructions: Don’t worry. Here, you are about to go home. But before you go, the doctor will give you some instructions, like some dos and don’ts. Oh! So, you don’t know there are dos and don’ts even after the surgery? Of course, there are instructions to follow if you want the healing process to be fast. The instruction might include some of the foods you should not take like Cod Liver Oil, the time you need to do some exercise, and some other things you must not engage in. one of the important messages they will pass across to you is that you can’t go home driving yourself. You will need a family member or a friend to drive you home. They will give you some medications and instruct you on when and how to use them. Furthermore, if you need to come over to the clinic for checkups, they will let you know.
We wish you success as you go. Mind you; we believe that the surgery is already a success because we’ve revealed all things you need to pass through. So, don’t be scared. You‘ll be fine! Finally, we are open to answering any questions that cross your mind.